Upper Body Conditions Treated with Physiotherapy
Our arms enable us to do amazing things, which can make limitations that much more frustrating. Evolution is here to help your upper body heal, improve mobility, increase strength, and create the best outcomes possible. Find out what you’re capable of, starting today.
Common Upper Body Conditions
The following is a list of common upper body conditions that our patients may come to Evolution Physical Therapy for treatment.
- Impingement Syndrome / Tendinopathy
- Rotator Cuff Pathology
- Scapular Dyskinesia
- Adhesive Capsulitis / Frozen Shoulder
- Labral Pathology
- Shoulder Instability / Dislocation / Glenohumeral Joint
- Total Shoulder Replacement and Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement (TSA / RTSA)
- Acromioclavicular Joint Pathology / AC Separation
- Shoulder Fractures
Elbow, Wrist & Hand Conditions
- Tendinopathy / Bursitis / Tennis Elbow / Golfer’s Elbow
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injuries
- Elbow Fractures
- Wrist Fractures
- Elbow, Wrist and Hand Sprains
- Median Nerve Compression / Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Hand Fractures
- Carpal Tunnel
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
See Conditions Treated for Other Body Parts
1. Spine & Pelvic Region
Explore issues we treat related to issues with the cervical, thoracic, or lumbar spine, as well as pelvis.
2. Lower Body
Explore issues we treat related to the knee, hip, ankle, foot, and leg.
3. Head & Brain
Explore issues we treat related to head trauma and issues with the cervical and thoracic spine.
Approaching Treatment of the Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist, and Hand
Arm pain is inevitable for most to experience during their lives. Depending on your age, lifestyle, and life experiences, you may experience stiffness and soreness, chronic aching, limited movement, or weakness. Physical therapy for your shoulder, elbow, wrist and/or hand will vary due to the multifaceted nature of the arm.
Creating Your Treatment Plan
If you have been referred to Evolution by a physician or orthopedic specialist, your treatment plan will be approached in tandem with the recommendations of your doctor. We will do our own examination of your body, assessing your pain threshold, strength, dexterity, and range of motion.
Arm conditions can have several different symptoms, so comprehensively understanding these when creating your treatment plan is important. Questions you should be prepared to answer include:
- Are you feeling any tingling or numbness?
- Do certain movements hurt more than others?
- Is your range of motion limited in some way?
- What is hurting and how much does it hurt?
- What are common physical activities that you have?
- What happened to cause the pain or deficiency you’re experiencing?
- Is the pain a dull ache or more acute?
- Are you experiencing any weakness?
- How long have you been experiencing these symptoms?
Once your physiotherapist has a clear grasp on what you’re experiencing and the extent to which it’s impacting you, your treatment plan will be created. This may require treatment only once a week for a couple of months, or more intensive and more frequent rehabilitation. Therapy treatments for arm conditions will typically include:
- Hands-on treatment, such as Blood Flow Restriction Therapy
- Stretches designed to maximize range of motion in the afflicted area
- Exercises and therapy to improve circulation to the tendons
- Exercises that both strengthen and stabilize the afflicted area
- An at-home routine to help maximize and retain the benefits of your physical therapy.
Hear from Real People about Evolution
Evolution Physical Therapy loves our people, and they love us! Check out what some are saying for reviews.